Tuesday, April 19, 2011

We are family

So, I'm Swedish. My great-grandfather was from Sweden and born in a village outside Leksand, north of Stockholm. My great-aunt visited the few Swedish relatives we have about 20 years ago and she gave me their information when I found out I would be living in Stockholm for three months. I majorly procrastinated in contacting them, but a week ago I finally made the call to my fourth cousins, Eva and Lasse Andersson. Eva was so nice and welcoming on the phone, and she insisted on coming to pick me up on Sunday. They live in Norsborg, which is only about a 15-minute car ride from my apartment. Again, I should have called them a lot sooner. Nonetheless, I spent an amazing day getting to know my distant relatives. They welcomed me to their home and we took a long walk around their neighborhood after we had a coffee together. The landscape and scenery was so beautiful! It was nice to experience a real Swedish home and see how the "natives" live. Lasse prepared a typical Swedish lunch for us that included fish, potatoes, carrots, and fresh tomatoes. I discovered that Eva and I shared a love of wine, so we enjoyed a couple glasses on the patio while Lasse cooked a delicious meal. We ate on the patio and enjoyed the sunshine because it was the warmest day of the year. I truly understand why Swedes worship the sun when it is out. Eva and Lasse's youngest son, Niklas, came over later in the afternoon with his three-year-old son, Oliver. Niklas insisted on taking me to hang out with the "younger" generation, so we went to his house and his girlfriend came over to meet me. They were the nicest people and we had some good laughs over Niklas' homemade pasta carbonarra. I feel really lucky that I was able to meet some family and hear a few stories about the past. It was a great way to spend my second-to last-weekend in Sweden!
The trees were beautiful!

Eva and Lasse Andersson's cute house.

My wonderful family that I am so glad to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment