Sunday, January 30, 2011

Whirlwind in London

My European adventure has been a whirlwind so far, starting with a 10-hour flight direct from Los Angeles to London. I was able to sleep for about five hours and was lucky to have an open seat next to me, so I had plenty of room. I met up with Lauren in the Heathrow Airport and we bought day passes for the tube (the London Underground), which took us directly to our hotel. The only problem was the two flights of stairs we had to schlepp our 50-pound bags up! I was laughing so hard that I thought I was going to topple backward. So far people have been nice, and a couple people even offered to help us with our luggage! We are staying at the Garden View Hotel in the Earl's Court area. After a quick shower and change of clothes to remove the travel stench, we hopped on the tube and headed to Notting Hill. I think I saw the street from the movie Love Actually (girls, you know what I'm talking about)!!! We meandered around the streets and ended up in Kensington in the heart of the shopping district. Eventually we made our way back on the tube and landed in Picadilly Circus, which reminded me a lot of Times Square in New York. There were bright lights and a lot of people, and taxis that speed up to hit you when you cross the street. Our hunt for fish and chips ended at St. James Tavern. A beer and food was just what we needed after 10 plus hours of traveling. Slightly buzzed and feeling gluttonous, we walked through Leicester Square, crossed a bridge over the Thames River, and bought tickets to ride the London Eye at night. Wow, it was beautiful to see the lights over London from 443 feet in the air. Tomorrow we have a tour to Stonehenge booked and want to see Buckingham Palace and Westminister Abbey. Here are just a couple photos from today.
 Riding the tube!
 Some random sculpture.
View from the top of the London Eye...you can see Big Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment