Friday, February 4, 2011

A few thoughts/discoveries about my time in Sweden thus far...

1. Cars, buses, and taxis all slow down for pedestrians. I hesitated at a crosswalk my first day here, even though people boldly stepped out into the intersection. Yes, the light was green and I had the "walk" sign, but I've never known vehicles to actually slow down when pedestrians are crossing the street. After my two-day jaunt in London, and having nightmares about being taken out by a bus as I was crossing the street, I had many qualms about trusting vehicle operators. But I was assured by a fellow co-worker that pedestrians have nothing to fear because all vehicles always stop and slow down for pedestrians. Apparently if you are caught speeding or not giving the right of way, your license is revoked immediately. Perhaps the US should adopt this brilliant policy!
2. I'm the only one excited about the snow. I was sitting at my desk at work and watching the mass of snow flurries falling from the sky. I've never lived or really experienced snow before! But I heard the murmurs around the room about the current weather conditions, and nobody was smiling. Hmm...I'm sure the novelty of it all will wear off very soon.
3. My job is completely different than my TransWorld position, and that is a good thing. This whole GROW experience is based on the fact that you will do something different and be able to experience various facets of the Bonnier Corporation. I've already helped create part of a powerpoint presentation for a meeting next week, and I've begun helping with the GRID conference planning by doing research and contacting speakers. I'm so excited for the coming months!
4. The language barrier is much harder than I anticipated. In my previous blog, I wrote about my grocery shopping experience. That is just one small example of how difficult the language difference is! I'm really going to try and pick up some more Swedish, but man, this is a complex language!
5. I love public transportation. I take the metro to work every day. The closest station is only two blocks from my apartment, and from there it is only three stops until my destination. And then I walk three blocks to the office. All of this takes less than 20 minutes and only costs me 100 dollars a month. Considering the fact that I spend about 75 dollars per week on gas driving in California, I'm thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. Kim this sounds amazing! I love that you are enjoying some snow, as I have done here in NC. GROW seems to be challenging and exciting for you. What a treat to experience all this! Right now I am watching some Super Bowl commercials (a re-cap of 90's tv shows) = awesome!! Love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete