Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whistle while you work

 I spend my weekdays at Kungsgatan 49, which is considered the city centre of Stockholm. The location is perfect for a shopaholic like me. Or it's the worst location for a shopaholic like me. The jury is still out on that one. There are three H&Ms within two blocks of each other. NK, the best and nicest department store in Sweden, is less than a 10-minute walk from my office. And when I'm feeling up for some exercise, my apartment is only a 35-minute jaunt. But it can be a long 35 minutes when it's -12 Celsius. The Bonnier AB office I work in is much more professional than my TransWorld home. Before I came to Sweden, I realized I needed some business casual attire. And it was a good reason to go shopping. I ended up buying sweaters, black pants, leggings, etc. in order to prepare for a nicer dress code. If I dressed in my Sweden digs back in Carlsbad, people would probably think I was going on a job interview. The expression "dress to impress" is what Swedes live by and I think it's a good motto. It's nice to put a little pride into my appearance every day, even though I'm still guilty of a ponytail now and again. I'm convinced I will never have a good hair day while I'm here. As soon as I think my hair is looking okay, I step outside and the hat I have to plop on my head ruins it. It's a small price to pay for warmth though.
Notice the H&Ms on both sides of the street.

The centre plaza near my metro stop.

Kungsgatan 49, Bonnier AB is on the sixth/seventh floors of the gray building 
in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment