Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vaxholm? Waxholm?

Apparently this island is named two different ways, at least that is what it seems. It was sometimes spelled with a V, and other times with a W. Either way, it was a fun adventure to head out to the archipelago in the winter. Most of the Swedes looked at me like I was a bit crazy when I gushed about my planned day trip to the archipelago in winter. This is usually a trip saved for warmer weather and time spent at a summer house. I will not be here to experience either of those things, so I figured experiencing Vaxholm in the winter was better than not at all! So Riku and I boarded a boat at 8:30am on a Saturday morning as dedicated tourists. We arrived to a town that was still asleep...seriously felt a little like a ghost town. We found a visitor's center in true tourist fashion, and mapped out our day. The island is apparently only 3km long, so we decided to see all 10 points of interest and walk the island. The weather was actually pretty nice. Never thought I would think 30 degrees Fahrenheit was nice weather. Only in Sweden. So we hiked the island and saw adorable houses, a cemetery, the town hall, and browsed the stores on the small main street. We even convinced two people to let us borrow their sleds and race down a hill. We ended the day trip with a couple beers that we bought at the "special" store in town. The beers weren't quite cold enough, so we took advantage of the snow. I knew snow was good for something!
Hiking the island.

I want this to be my summer home.

A good use of snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment