Thursday, March 3, 2011

Back to my roots

I'm a writer at heart, but I've been on a kind of "sabbatical" for three and a half years. My journalism path began in college, first at Irvine Valley and then at Cal State Long Beach, where I worked as a reporter, photographer, and sports editor. But as I graduated college, I drifted toward the role of a copy editor in the journalism world. I laugh sometimes when I think about it because my grammar class in college was the hardest class I've ever taken, and I squeaked by with a C. Grammar is like understanding math formulas, but only harder because there are so many exceptions and rules depending on the circumstance. So, I became a copy editor for a business newsletter company and then found my way to TransWorld where I've been for three and a half years. I love being a copy editor because I'm a word nerd and making corrections and finding errors is like a challenging game that I love playing. But my role now is more of a behind-the-scenes gig, and I like to think that I make other people look good. I don't do much of my own creative writing anymore, so I feared my edge had dulled. Now, I really don't think I was a great writer; it's just that I enjoyed writing. And doing something you enjoy is the most important thing. Long ago, I decided that I was a journalist, and I ventured down that path knowing what I was getting myself into. It's often not glorious, and the salary tends to be average at best, but a career that I was passionate about was the most important thing to me. The opportunity to work in Sweden was enticing because of the thrill of an adventure, but also because the job description detailed a lot of writing duties. As of now, I have two bylines on our corporate website and I'm working on four more, and it's a thrill I haven't experienced since the first time I was published 10 years ago. These humble interviews I'm writing are short and sweet, but it makes me remember why I'm a journalist. I'm reminded of my passion that may have dulled over the years, but it was never gone. All I know is that working in Sweden is probably the best opportunity of my life, and I'm embracing every moment and experience. Wow, that was a wave of nostalgia I wasn't expecting, but thanks for reading.

http://www.bonnier.com/en/content/meet-rikard-sj%C3%B6berg
http://www.bonnier.com/en/content/meet-johan-danielsson

No comments:

Post a Comment