Monday, March 21, 2011

The halfway point

This has been quite a busy, fun week in Stockholm and it marked the halfway point of my stay. Here is a breakdown of my life the past four days:

Thursday: I wasn't quite sure if Stockholmers celebrated St. Patty's Day, but I was on a mission to have a Guinness at an Irish pub. My friend Lauren got into town super late on Wednesday, so Thursday was our first night out. We started the evening at my apartment with wine, cheese, and bread, and then ventured to Gamla Stan in search of a pub. The long lines we encountered confirmed that Swedes, do in fact, celebrate the holiday. Or it's just another excuse to drink, not that anyone here needs an excuse! We had a great night filled with Guinness, meeting random people, and singing karaoke...Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" to be exact.
Friday: I had to work all day because we had the Bonnier Sales Awards festivities. Starting with an afternoon seminar and ending with the evening gala dinner, it was a looooong day for me. Lauren did some sightseeing and entertained herself while I was occupied with work. Here is a link to the article I had to write for the event. It gives a better idea of the grandioseness of the evening.
http://bonnier.com/en/content/evening-remember
Saturday: I woke up rather early on Saturday considering I didn't get home until almost 1 a.m. And my morning was spent writing the article for the Bonnier Sales Awards. Lauren and I ventured out for a day of shopping, with our first stop being Urban Outfitters. We wandered around Ostermalm and grabbed a much-needed coffee before heading to IKEA. After a 20-minute metro trip and a quick bus ride, we landed at the largest IKEA I've ever been to. The wonderment wore off in about ten minutes since every obnoxious child in Sweden just happened to be at IKEA the same time I was. We decided food was probably a good idea and ordered a plate of meatballs in true Swedish fashion. We rested at my apartment later that afternoon and headed to Icebar Stockholm. A bar completely made of ice? What a good idea! Lauren and I were cloaked in large hooded parkas and we enjoyed a couple sweet, fruity vodka drinks. After we defrosted, we met up with Riku and had a couple beers before heading to Le Bon Palais nightclub. You had to be over 27 to get into the club, so it was the first time I've felt young in a while. The dance floor was large and the drinks were good. Overall a fun, but very late, night!
Sunday: I may have felt young on Saturday night, but Sunday morning was a bit of a different story. I didn't leave my PJs until noonish. We found a coffee shop and ordered some breakfast and did some exploring in the SoFo area. I invited all my GROW friends over Sunday night for tacos and ping pong. It was a great way to end an amazing weekend and visit with Lauren!
Happy St. Patty's Day!

IKEA

An ice turtle!

Tearin' up the dance floor at Le Bon Palais.




No comments:

Post a Comment