Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Berlin adventure

The 48 hours I spent in Berlin were amazing. My trip began with catching a bus at 3:40am to an airport an hour and a half away. Part of my super cheap flight was the fact that the airport was not close. But it was pretty painless and I caught my flight and landed in Berlin at 8:30am. I made my way into the city by the airport express and navigated my way to the Brandenburger Tor where I was meeting the walking tour I signed up for. A few people had recommended the free walking tour in Berlin and it did not disappoint. With a Starbucks chai latte in hand, I started the 3.5 hour tour ready for some history and culture. The knowledgable guide named Alex took us through the Brandenburg Gate, The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, the site of Hitler's former bunker, Luftwaffe headquarters, the June 17 Memorial, The Berlin Wall, the former SS headquarters, Checkpoint Charlie, Bebelplatz, Gendarmenmarkt, The Book Burning Memorial, Neue Wache, the TV Tower, and Museum Island. I even made a Brazilian friend who was living in the Netherlands for a year. She was also on a solo trip to Berlin, so we had something in common. After the walking tour, I spotted an outside street market and bought currywurst and a pretzel because I wanted to get a taste of some local food. It refueled me and I headed to the Pergamon Museum and saw some of the most breathtaking artifacts and collections I've ever seen. After two hours meandering through the museum—with aching feet—I headed toward the TV Tower in Alexanderplatz. I was so tired by then that I decided to find my hotel in East Berlin and call it a night. My hotel was an eight-minute walk from the S Bahn and I checked in, showered, and was asleep by 9pm. I woke up refreshed and ready for another day of discovery. The east side of Berlin is much different than the west side, so I was really glad I got to see it. The East Side Gallery was right across from my hotel, so I walked the whole 1.5 km. It is basically part of the Berlin Wall that was turned into a tribute and celebration for overcoming the Iron Curtain in Europe. Apparently artists from all over the world have come to paint murals on it. So cool! After my cultural walk, I visited the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe. I spent two hours enthralled and emotional listening to the audio tour and experiencing the intenseness of the museum. It was something I will never forget. I headed to the West End afterward and took a tour of the Charlottenburg Palace, which is the largest palace in Berlin and it dates back to the 17th century. I worked up an appetite sightseeing, so I found a biergarten back in the middle of the city at Alexanderplatz and ordered a big beer and schnitzel. It felt so German and fun! To end my day, I took a trip up the TV Tower at sunset and got a 360-degree breathtaking view of Berlin. My 48 hours in Berlin were action-packed and exciting. I am so glad I was able to visit and I truly enjoyed the culture and vibrancy. Traveling to a city by myself and exploring completely on my own made me feel exhilarated and independent. My next trip will probably be to Finland in a couple weeks with the other GROW people. I feel so lucky to be living in Europe where travel is somewhat affordable. I have the travel bug now!
The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

Good morning, East Berlin!

Walking the East Side Gallery

My proper German meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment