Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Down with the sickness

I can honestly say that one of my fears when coming to Sweden was getting so sick that I needed to see a doctor. I know Sweden is far from a third-world country, but I just didn't want to deal with the hassle and I was afraid of socialized medicine. After fighting the sickness over the weekend, it got the better of me yesterday and I couldn't ignore it any longer. My co-worker took me to the "urgent care" in Sweden and after $250 and two hours waiting, I was told I had a bacterial infection, given a prescription for penicillin, and sent on my way. The whole process was pretty much painless, despite the golf ball stuck in my throat making it impossible to swallow. I got my prescription filled at the Apotek (pharmacy) and it only took ten minutes and I was outta there. So much easier than the battle I usually have at CVS in the States. So now I am locked in my apartment for a few days, forcing myself to get better as fast as I can. I have a big weekend planned and being sick does not fit into my agenda. I'm heading to Berlin, Germany, at an ungodly hour on Saturday morning...3:30 a.m. to be exact. I booked a hotel for two nights and I head back on Monday morning. This will be the first time I'm exploring a foreign country all by myself. I've been mapping out my limited stay and already booked a 3.5 hour walking tour, bought a ticket for the TV Tower, and found a few museums I want to visit. I will post some pictures of my Germany trip next week, but for now, here are a few from last weekend's adventures. 
Changing of the guard at the Royal Palace on Gamla Stan.

Having a drink with the GROWers at Sky Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment